"With two busy children, I like to have recipes that get me out of the kitchen fast," notes Rose Palsgrove of Piqua, Ohio. "Our neighboring town hosts a strawberry festival every June, so strawberry recipes are popular in our area. This one is simple and delicious. Serve it warm.
Recommended: Our Best Coffee Cake Recipes Ever
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with strawberries.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans if desired; sprinkle over strawberries.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p20
Reviews for Crumb-Topped Strawberry Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 18, 2011
"I thought it was just okay."
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2011
"This is part of my repetoir that I could not be without."