- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- For filling, place apples in crust. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Crumb Topped Apple Pie
Sort By :
"I have made this pie for our annual Labor Day barbecue. It is always the first dessert to go so I make 2 pies."
"I've been making this apple pie for years now and it is the BEST!!"
"Delicious! My best girl friend, who is a dessert connoisseuse called this pie "blue ribbon." Used Granny Smith apples."
"I first tried this pie when I saw it in a TOH magazine ( I forget the year) I've made every time I want a 1 crust pie, it is the best 1 crust apple pie ever. However I still prefer MY 2 crust when I want a 2 crust.p. s. Mrs. Olson's story is amazing. Thank you Mrs. Olson."
"I make baked goods for work all the time. A girl at worked requested an apple pie for her birthday. So I decided to go with this one. I got 3 thumbs up, if that's even possible :). So after she raved about it, along with her family, I decided to make one for myself around Turkey Day. Needless to say, it certainly didnt last long :(. This had to be the best apple pie I have ever had. Will be making it for the Christmas holiday as well.I highly recommend!!!"