When our children were small, we always celebrated Christmas at our house. This was one of many recipes I relied on that can be prepared a day in advance, which gave me more time to spend with guests. Everyone expected to see this vegetable dish on the table every year. —Barbara Caserman, Lake Havasu City, Arizona
- 50 pearl onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Pimiento strips, optional
- In a Dutch oven, or large kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley, cheese and onions.
- Pour into an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes; stir. Top with pimientos if desired. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Pearl Onions in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p80
Reviews for Creamed Pearl Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review