- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toasted sliced almonds, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine sour cream, sugar, butter and salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 5-10 minutes or until well blended. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sour cream mixture and eggs. Beat until smooth. Gradually stir in flour to form a soft dough (dough will be very soft). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Divide into fourths. Roll each piece into a 12x8-in. rectangle. In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients until well blended. Spread over each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cut six X's on top of loaves. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla; drizzle over warm loaves. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Reviews for Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Sort By :
"This recipe is very impressive, the finished product is excellent."
"I have made this coffee cake several times and find this is the perfect cake for someone who fears to bake with yeast. This is one of my families and friends favorite. SOOOOOOOOOO gooooood!!!!"
"This coffee cake recipe is more work than some...but it's WELL worth every bit of effort! The dough just melts in your mouth! I usually forgo the almonds, and add a little lemon juice to the glaze. Delicious!"
"One of the best coffee cakes I've ever made! I'll be using this recipe over and over again."
"My husband and kids think it's heaven!"