Crab Rockefeller Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese and stir until smooth. Add the spinach and crab.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 3 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Crab Rockefeller
Sort By :
I appreciate the other reviews, and as a result modified the recipe. 1. I used whole milk (its what I have) 2. I used cream cheese instead of parmesan cheese then mixed the parmesan in with the crust, and added lemon pepper and salt. I wanted to add old bay but I didn't have any. If I make it again I'll up the amount of crab and make a baked pasta dish out of it. Then it will be a good substantial meal. Very easy to whip up however, and one pot and a couple of dishes cause I forgot to thaw the spinach in the morning.
I can appreciate what the other reviewer has posted. This dish is similar to a scalloped or creamed spinach dish. It would be a great dish to serve with your leftover rice or pasta.
I had to make this one because it has my two favorites and staples in my diet in it- spinach and crab (although I enjoy the fake crab).
I noticed it didnt have any seasonings listed so I salted and peppered and added nutmeg to my spinach before combining with the white sauce and cheese. Oh the other substitution I made is the addition of goat cheese instead of the parmesan. I also added some garlic powder to the bread crumbs and butter. Quite nice but I do enjoy creamed spinach.
I was absolutely disappointed by this recipe.
#1 - This is not a main course. More like a dip, a side dish at best
#2 - It did not taste very good. It was bland and boring. The bread crumbs were a weird gross addition. The dish looked like spinach dip but did not come out near as good. I felt like I wasted my time and money.