Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 10 min.
- 3 dozen fresh oysters in the shell, washed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds kosher salt
- Shuck oysters, reserving bottom shell; set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add spinach; cook and stir until wilted. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, lemon juice and pepper.
- Spread kosher salt into two ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Lightly press the oyster shells down into the salt. Place one oyster in each shell; top each with 2-1/2 teaspoons spinach mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 6-8 minutes or until oysters are plump. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts6 each: 263 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 59842mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Dec 3, 2017
Hardest part is shucking oysters. Seafood store did that for me, so only work was making the topping and broiling them. I used a muffin pan instead of rock salt to hold the oysters in place; worked great. Huge hit for my guests, enormous crowd pleaser and super easy.
Dec 16, 2012
People who say they don't like oysters, love this. You can make it ahead of time, and put them on the grill for 8 minutes. We did the first batch where we boiled them, then they were easy to open, but a little bit rubbery. Then my husband used a grinder to open them, and it worked great. So easy to make and you can make adjustments. We added some hot sauce or bacon to change the flavor. Very good basic recipe that you can change according to your taste
Jan 26, 2011
These oysters are really tasty, but rich. You can't really eat to many at one time. This is a perfect appetizer for a steak dinner. The hardest part is shucking the oysters. If you don't have an Oyster knife you can use a flat head screw driver. I had to look on the internet for instruction on how to shuck. Once you learn how it is not too hard, but is time consuming. The sauce you put over the oysters is pretty easy to make but is awesome combined with the flavor of oysters.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.