- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Combine 3 tablespoons flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper; set aside. Coat steaks with remaining flour. Beat egg white and water; dip steaks, then dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook two steaks in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until crisp, lightly browned and cooked to desired doneness. Remove steaks and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and steaks.
- Meanwhile, for gravy, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the bouillon, marjoram, thyme and pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with steaks. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Country-Fried Steaks
Sort By :
"we found that the flour and cornmeal mixture wasn't enough to coat 2 cutlets and only makes a small amount of gravy. Needed to increase recipe to fix 2 cutlets. Very good though after all is done."
"As written this is bland and the serving is very skimpy. I use 1/2 cup of flour and 6 ounce minimum sized pounded round steaks or pork sirloin steaks. Also add garlic and onion powders to the dredge. It takes about 1 cup of a 50/50 mixture of canola oil and bacon fat to truly fry these up right. For the gravy I use about 1/4 cup of drippings left from frying the steaks with an equal amount of flour seasoned to taste and swap out the 2% milk for half and half and end up with a lot of nice rich comforting gravy because we like our country fried steaks smothered in gravy and also serve mashed potatoes and biscuits along side and they require lots of gravy also."
"Bland and pretty much awful. Not how I was hoping they would turn out."
"My husband really liked it."
"Didn't really turn out the way I had hoped :( Kind of disappointed with this recipe"