- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup cut fresh or frozen green beans
- In a large saucepan, brown beef; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add green beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the beans are tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Contest-Winning Hearty Hamburger Soup
"and added corn!"
"A delicious and hearty soup. Nice to see someone from my area posted here. I'm from Rockford IL..Thank you Barbara!"
"I didn't have the onions so I substituted shallots. I liked the quickness of this hearty soup."
"This is a great soup for anytime of the week and any weather! Very hearty and absolutely delicious! My family LOVES it when I make it and it doesn't last! :)"
"Enjoyed this simple recipe. I like a little spice so I used a can of original ro- tel and half a can of diced tomatoes. As I was browning the hamburger I added 1 TBS of Worchestershire. I also like my soup a little thicker so I used 3 cups of water and one cup of tomato juice. Just the right amount of extra flavor I was looking for."
"my family loved this. will make again"
"Very tasty easy vegetable soup!"
"Very good, but did have to add extra spices. Tasted bland otherwise. Once I added the extra spices and cheese, it was very good. I did have to add extra broth when I reheated, because all the liquid was soaked up. I will make this again."
"This turned out to be a nice, under assuming little soup. It was easy to prepare, and fairly inexpensive. The only change we made was, after tasting the soup with the called for oregano, we added Italian seasoning to add more flavor. I'm planning on making it again soon and trying Italian sausage instead of ground beef."