- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup cut fresh or frozen green beans
- In a large saucepan, brown beef; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add green beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the beans are tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forContest-Winning Hearty Hamburger Soup
"Picky family loves it. I didn't add the salt. I added small can tomato sauce and 1 tbl beef base."
"I'm trying new soups, and this is very good. I used a pound and a half of sirloin ground beef, three medium potatoes instead of two. I added minced garlic, one dried bay leaf, a shot of Worcestershire, fresh oregano instead of dried, about 4 capers. I used 5 beef bouillon cubes and one chicken bouillon cube and a little more water. I used the recommended on the carrots, celery, fresh green beans, and onion. My only complaint is that it still felt a little bland, but that's my personal preference. Very hearty and tasty, and kids like it."
"Cut salt/sodium way down by using unsalted beef broth instead of water and bullion. also, use unsalted tomatoes. Leave the 1 1/2 tsp salt out until you taste it."
"Oh how I wish there was much less Sodium!The rest is great."
"Been making this for years, sometimes adding a little grated turnip or some chopped cabbage. Seems to really boost the flavor. My 100 yr old mother often requests this soup."
"Good, crowd-pleasing recipe. I especially like that the vegetables are cooked perfectly and not overdone. We prefer it with extra pepper and oregano, and a 28 oz can of tomatoes."
"Can you make this in the crock pot?"
"and added corn!"