At family get-togethers, our children always request this spirit-warming soup along with a fresh loaf of homemade bread and tall glasses of milk. It has robust flavor, plenty of fresh-tasting vegetables and is easy to make. -Barbara Brown, Janesville, Wisconsin
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup cut fresh or frozen green beans
- In a large saucepan, brown beef; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add green beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the beans are tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Hearty Hamburger Soup in Quick Cooking January/February 1999, p27
Reviews for Contest-Winning Hearty Hamburger Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review