Contest-Winning Chicken Wild Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the cream, chicken, rice, mushrooms, pimientos and parsley; heat through.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Contest-Winning Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
Sort By :
Excellent dish - we get asked for the recipe's all the time. We saute some red peppers with onions in place of pimientos.
This dish tastes Great, its now a family favorite!! I have little experience making sauces or gravy from scratch but it was so easy!!
Wow!! I have a family of five and this meal was a hit with everyone. Will be making this dish often for my family.