Contest-Winning Braised Short Ribs Recipe
I've been relying on this recipe ever since I bought my first slow cooker some 19 years ago. The fall-off-the-bone-tender entree is much appreciated on busy days.Peggy Edwards, Heber City, Utah
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup beer or beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, paprika and mustard. Add ribs in batches and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil; drain.
- Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add ribs. Top with beer and garlic. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and onions to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Braised Short Ribs in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p53
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Braised Short Ribs(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Ribs >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >