- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a small bowl, mash one can black beans; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion, red pepper and jalapeno in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cumin, coriander, hot sauce, pepper, bay leaf, mashed black beans and remaining whole beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in lime juice. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1-1/2 teaspoons green onion. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Contest-Winning Black Bean Soup
"Great tasting soup and so easy. I used dried black beans that I had cooked previously and froze. This will be a new staple in my house!"
"Just started a 10 day vegetarian diet, and good recipes without tofu are hard to find. This soup is so good, full of flavor and healthy benefits. There's not a spicy kick with this soup, just a great flavor. I didn't have coriander, cumin, and none of us likes celery, but if you add a little salt and pepper, you won't miss it. Definitely something I will make again."
"Does this soup have much heat to it my husband doesn't like anything to spicy and I would love to try it."
"Added ground flax seed to make this delicious soup even healthier. Served with baked southwest sandwiches. Wonderful."