Contest-Winning Black Bean Soup
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1. In a small bowl, mash one can black beans; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion, red pepper and jalapeno in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cumin, coriander, hot sauce, pepper, bay leaf, mashed black beans and remaining whole beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3. Discard bay leaf. Stir in lime juice. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1-1/2 teaspoons green onion.
1 cup: 222 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 779mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Dec 24, 2019My daughter is been vegetarian for about a year, and we are always trying to find new recipes to make for her. The cumin made it taste a lot like the chili I make, so it was a welcome blend of flavors. My husband and son were afraid to try it because of the fresh jalapeño pepper, but the flavor was subtle, and she and I both added extra Louisiana hot sauce. She and I both had multiple bowls soon after making it. Definitely a keeper recipe.
Nov 3, 2019I loved this soup! I made it as written with the exception of adding another can of black beans. I also found it to be broth-ier (as another reviewer indicated) than most bIack bean soups, so I did thicken it just a bit by adding a little corn starch/ water combo. Regardless, it was wonderful (my friends echoed that sentiment). I doubled the recipe and froze the extra. I found it to be thicker (and just as great) after defrosting and reheating. I will definitely make this again!
Sep 12, 2019Unlike the reviews below who submit reviews of THEIR recipe, this is a review of the recipe as it is written. This is a delicious soup as is! After it was finished, I added some gumbo filé powder just to thicken it a little bit more, and also a teaspoon of salt. It's a keeper! The lime juice, sour cream, and scallions really topped it off. You can also make a little roux with flour and water to thicken, I just happened to have filé powder on hand. Yummy!
Aug 29, 2019Really liked this recipe. Did not put tomatoes or lime juice in it.. Allergies. Used lime zest instead. Dialed back a little bit of the heat. Still spicy enough for me. Will make it again. Will also put tomatoes directly in the bowls. Thanks for the recipe.
Aug 15, 2019Good soup. I had a few links of hot sausage I had and used them along with some sofrito and the soup was very well received
Jun 10, 2017
This is an excellent recipe! I mostly followed it but started with dry beans (2lb) and went from there. I pureed 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes with 1/2 the beans , doubling everthing else. What I want to say is that this soup is also excellent cold. I topped it with scallions, sour cream and avacado. YUM.
Feb 15, 2017
Left out the coriander and topped with cilantro. Everyone really liked this soup!
Feb 8, 2017
We liked this soup, actually I love anything with black beans. My soup didn't look quite as thick as pictured, in fact it was quite brothy ( if that's a word) looking. I added a can of refied black beans to thicken it up, I didn't use the whole onion and I only used 1.5 tsp of cumin., other than that it perfect. I should've made some corn bread to go with it. I'll be making it again.
Jan 19, 2017
We really loved this soup. This is the first time I have made black bean soup and I am so glad I picked this recipe! I did not have coriander, so I replaced it with curry powder. I will be making this again, for sure!!
Feb 12, 2016
Great tasting soup and so easy. I used dried black beans that I had cooked previously and froze. This will be a new staple in my house!