Company Chicken Madeira Recipe
The sauce for this chicken is simply sensational. It is packed with great herb and vegetable flavor. The leeks, fennel and portobello mushrooms make it feel elegant, but it's very easy to make.Jamie Miller, Maple Grove, Minnesota
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 3/4 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Madeira wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- Combine the thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and coriander; rub over chicken. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons butter for 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In same skillet, saute leeks and chopped fennel in remaining butter for 4-6 minutes or until just tender. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually add wine and simmer for 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Sprinkle with fennel fronds. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Company Chicken Madeira in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p41
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Company Chicken Madeira(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >