Company Chicken Madeira Recipe
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 3/4 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Madeira wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and coriander; rub over chicken. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons butter 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In same skillet, saute leeks and chopped fennel in remaining butter 4-6 minutes or until just tender. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually add wine and simmer 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Sprinkle with fennel fronds. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Company Chicken Madeira in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p41
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Company Chicken Madeira
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review