As a pastor's wife and state auxiliary leader, I host many large gatherings. Whenever I make this "punch bowl cake", it makes a big impression, I return with an empty bowl every time!" -Deborah Randall Abbeville, Louisiana
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 6 cups cold milk
- 3 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) apple pie filling
- 2 cartons (16 ounces each) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk, pudding mixes and apple pie spice for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Cut one cake layer if necessary to fit evenly in an 8-qt. punch bowl. Poke holes in cake with a long wooden skewer; gradually pour a third of the caramel topping over cake. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans and spread with half of the pudding mixture.
- Spoon one can of pie filling over pudding; spread with one carton of whipped topping.
- Top with remaining cake and repeat layers. Drizzle with remaining caramel topping and sprinkle with remaining pecans. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 42 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Colossal Caramel Apple Trifle in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p39
Reviews for Colossal Caramel Apple Trifle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review