Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package chocolate fudge cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (6 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 6 Heath candy bars (1.4 ounces each), crushed
- Bake cake according to package directions. Cool. Prepare pudding according to package directions; set aside.
- Crumble cake; reserve 1/2 cup. Place half of the remaining cake crumbs in the bottom of a 4-1/2- or 5-qt. trifle dish or decorative glass bowl.
- Layer with half of the coffee, half of the pudding, half of the whipped topping and half of the crushed candy bars. Repeat the layers of cake, coffee, pudding and whipped topping.
- Combine remaining crushed candy bars with reserved cake crumbs; sprinkle over top. Refrigerate 4-5 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 396 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 26, 2015
is frozen whipped topping just frozen whipped cream if not can you use it
May 27, 2015
Was asked to make a trifle for a funeral dinner at my church. I made it as per the recipe but did use the bagged Heath chips as well. I had a bit of each ingredient left and made a sampling for myself…and was not disappointed!! Wonderful fusion of flavors. Lovely presentation in a trifle bowl. Will definitely make this again!
Dec 21, 2014
My mother in law asked me to bring a chocolate trifle to our family Christmas party. This was a big hit!! I didn't have a cake mix or a pudding mix, so I made both of those from scratch. I also used real whipping cream and Heath chips. I was worried that the coffee flavor would be too much, but it wasn't. Thanks for the recipe!
Dec 10, 2014
Found this recipe years ago in the TOH magazine. Can't wait to make again! It's easy to make, delicious and always gets rave reviews. I too use the bagged Heath chips, much easier.
Dec 1, 2014
We make this recipe for every family gathering. I omit the coffee, but I would like to try the recipe as written sometime. Since there is almond in the Heath bars and my niece is allergic to nuts, we recently revised the recipe. In place of the crushed Heath bars, I added crushed Oreo cookies. Both recipes are equally delicious!
May 29, 2014
This recipe was in the first Taste of Home magazine I received many years ago. I still make it often. It is the most requested dessert at church dinners. I now use one bag of Heath bits instead of crushing the Heath bars.
Oct 23, 2013
First off I love trifles (know not everyone does) but this one is always a hit at family gatherings. I also like that you can make this the night ahead. Really rich and delicious!
Apr 2, 2013
Have made this recipe many times. Always a huge hit. I substitute brownies for the cake (cut into one inch squares). I also use chocolate chips as not everyone cares for the heath bars, and I omit the coffee. Also, side a little food coloring in the whipped cream for the holidays. I did pink for Easter. This is an extremely easy and delicious dessert. Enjoy!
Mar 27, 2013
Made this recipe for potluck and folks went back for seconds and thirds. And I just made a sugar free version for diabetic friends, using all sugar free ingredients. This is so simple and so yummy.
Jul 25, 2012
I used raspberry hot chocolate and mixed it in the pudding instead of coffee. I also used heavy whipping cream to make my own cool whip.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.