Every year I try to come up with a new recipe, and this is one that's been requested over and over. Who would guess how good pretzels are in cookies?.—Isabel Minunni, Poughkeepsie, New York
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups finely ground pretzels (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, mix ground pretzels, flour and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter. Using a floured 1-3/4-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the centers of half of the cookies. Place solid and window cookies 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Spread melted chocolate onto bottoms of solid cookies; let stand until firm. Spread jam over cooled chocolate; top with window cookies. Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar.
Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and decorate as directed. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Strawberry Pretzel Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2016