Every year I try to come up with a new recipe, and this is one that's been requested over and over. Who would guess how good pretzels are in cookies?.—Isabel Minunni, Poughkeepsie, New York
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups finely ground pretzels (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, mix ground pretzels, flour and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter. Using a floured 1-3/4-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the centers of half of the cookies. Place solid and window cookies 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Spread melted chocolate onto bottoms of solid cookies; let stand until firm. Spread jam over cooled chocolate; top with window cookies. Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar.
Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and decorate as directed. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Strawberry Pretzel Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2016
Reviews for Chocolate-Strawberry Pretzel Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review