Behr Track Cookie Bars
The holidays are the perfect time to indulge in these ooey-gooey, salty-sweet peanut butter bars. A lot of people comment that the pretzels in the filling are a pleasant surprise. Just make sure to cut cookie bars small—they're super rich. —Megan Behr, Marion, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 1 package (13 ounces) caramels
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups lightly crushed pretzels
- PEANUT BUTTER LAYER:
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- CHOCOLATE LAYER:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa and salt; stir in butter. Press onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake until set, 10-15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Microwave caramels and cream, covered, on high, stirring occasionally, until melted, 3-5 minutes. Spread over crust; cover with crushed pretzels. Refrigerate until set.
- Meanwhile, combine peanut butter and butter; beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over pretzels. Return to refrigerator.
- In the microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over peanut butter layer. Refrigerate 15 minutes before cutting into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 185 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Behr Track Cookie Bars in Ultimate Cookie Swap Bookazine 2017