Kids are thrilled to find a marshmallow hidden under this cookie's cocoa frosting. I enjoyed these cookies as a child, and now my own family loves them, too. —Joanna Swartley, Harrisonburg, Virginia
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 18 large marshmallows, halved
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Press a marshmallow half, cut side down, onto each cookie; bake 2 minutes longer. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and salt until smooth. Add enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Marshmallow Meltaways in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p43
Reviews for Chocolate Marshmallow Meltaways
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review