Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1-1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts if desired. Spread in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with marshmallows; bake 2-3 minutes longer or until melted. Place pan on a wire rack. Using a knife dipped in water, spread marshmallows evenly over the top. Cool completely.
- For topping, combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until blended. Remove from the heat; stir in Rice Krispies. Spread over bars immediately. Chill until set.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 194 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 6, 2018
Love this recipe! Can these bars be frozen?
Aug 1, 2016
I'd made these bars and took them to the Bingo game at my retirement community. They were well received! The adjustments I'd used: Creamy Peanut Butter and baking the bars at least 20 minutes. I'd put marshmallows over cake layer and returned to oven for 2 to 5 minutes. delowenstein
Apr 20, 2016
I have made this 3 times now and everyone just loves it. It's different than the some old desserts.
Nov 19, 2015
Made these for a Thanksgiving potluck and everyone RAVED!! I had to make copies of the recipe to hand out because everyone loved them so much. This will be my new go-to potluck dessert recipe. Excellent.
Jul 8, 2015
It was a split decision in our family! My husband didn't like the "peanut butter fighting the marshmallow". He would have liked one or the other. But the kids loved it! I would have liked a little more cocoa in the batter. We didn't have Rice Krispies so we used Special K which worked wonderfully. We all did like the crunch! I found that if I was careful in my initial placement of the marshmallows, I didn't have to attempt to spread them. This was one less thing to worry about!
Dec 18, 2014
Aug 1, 2014
It's been a while since I've made these and I don't know why! They're great for taking to a potluck event. Everyone loves them.
May 31, 2014
That sounds like a good recipe to make.
Apr 2, 2014
What a great recipe.....it has all of the components of a " gotta keep this in my recipe files" recipe! Makes a large amount of squares so great make-ahead for a large gathering. I would suggest cutting small squares....and use a hot knife! ( won't stick to marshmallow layer that way). Thanks for this recipe!
Mar 12, 2014
These were a big hit at our last disc golf tournament!