As a frugal mom, I try to use leftovers in a way that provides good nutrition. This recipe does just that and it’s also a great way for my children to learn to enjoy the flavors of their Mexican heritage. —Aimee Day, Ferndale, Washington
- 15 corn tortillas (6 inches), torn into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups (12 ounces) crumbled queso fresco or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups turkey or chicken broth
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In batches, arrange tortilla pieces in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet and bake 6-8 minutes or until crisp.
- In a large bowl, toss turkey with onion and garlic. Place lime juice and peppers in a blender; cover and process until blended.
- Arrange half of the tortilla pieces in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with turkey mixture, beans, 1-1/2 cups cheese and chipotle mixture. Top with the remaining tortilla pieces and cheese. Pour broth over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro. If desired, serve with rice and sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chipotle Turkey Chilaquiles in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2015, p141
Reviews for Chipotle Turkey Chilaquiles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review