As a frugal mom, I try to use leftovers in a way that provides good nutrition. This recipe does just that and it’s also a great way for my children to learn to enjoy the flavors of their Mexican heritage. —Aimee Day, Ferndale, Washington
Featured In: 50 Best Comfort Foods from Around the World
- 15 corn tortillas (6 inches), torn into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups crumbled queso fresco or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups turkey or chicken broth
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In batches, arrange tortilla pieces in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet and bake 6-8 minutes or until crisp.
- In a large bowl, toss turkey with onion and garlic. Place lime juice and peppers in a blender; cover and process until blended.
- Arrange half of the tortilla pieces in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with turkey mixture, beans, 1-1/2 cups cheese and chipotle mixture. Top with the remaining tortilla pieces and cheese. Pour broth over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro. If desired, serve with rice and sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chipotle Turkey Chilaquiles in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2015, p141
Reviews for Chipotle Turkey Chilaquiles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 1, 2017
"Followed the recipe exactly. Turned out very garlicy and soupy. I think next time we try this we'll cut it down to a clove or two of garlic and 1 c broth."