My chicken stew makes the house smell wonderful as it gently bubbles in the slow cooker. One whiff and my family heads to the kitchen to see if it's ready. —Marge Drake, Juniata, Nebraska
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Place the parsnips, carrots, celery, sweet potato and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken; sprinkle with the sage, salt and pepper. Add broth and water. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to the slow cooker.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Add gnocchi. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Season with hot pepper sauce if desired. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Chicken Stew with Gnocchi in Country Woman October/November 2008, p27
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Stew with Gnocchi
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review