- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons diced peeled apple
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 20 slices bread
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the mayonnaise, salt and pepper; add to chicken mixture and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each slice of bread with a 3-in. round cookie cutter; brush both sides with butter. Press into ungreased mini muffin cups. Bake 11-13 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Cool 3 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Spoon 1 tablespoonful chicken salad into each bread basket. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 20 appetizers.
Reviews for Chicken Salad in Baskets
"I use pie pastry dough instead of bread, and it's just as good !"
"I made this for Christmas and New Years Eve. They are delicious. Variations couldbe: egg salad, tuna salad, taco meat w/cheese...ideas are endless. Thanks, Lynn"
"I made these for a church potluck and there wasn't any left. The toast cup was very good, crispy and crunchy. I used my own chicken salad recipe with chopped onion, celery, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. They were a big hit and I will definitely make these again. Might even make them filled with ham salad sometime."
"It was good, but the chicken salad was a bit bland and people at the party we took it to agreed. It needs either chopped cranberries for a tangy addition, or finely chopped green olives. I would make again with one of those changes."
"I also used whole wheat bread. And to save time, I used canned chicken. Regular sized muffin pans work just fine if you don't have mini ones. I used a small glass bottle to push them in and make a cavity. I love the sweet taste of apples so I used half of a small apple. If you don't have a round cookie cutter, a canning jar lid works. You just have to press harder. They turned out great!"
"I'm not ready to rate the recipe but I can also see it in the little phylo cups. Sounds good!!"
"I used whole wheat bread. They turned out GREAT!"