- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, pepper and onion; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Stir in water and seasoning mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
Spread mayonnaise over cut sides of bread. Layer with cheese and chicken mixture. Replace tops. Cut crosswise into six pieces.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Fajita Submarine Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious December/January 2015
Reviews for Chicken Fajita Submarine Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 17, 2015
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2015
"These were good. Next time I may adjust the seasoning on the chicken, maybe add a tad more moisture."