- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, add the rice, carrots, onion, mushrooms and red pepper. Cook and stir until rice is browned and onion is tender.
- Stir in broth. Place chicken over rice mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Carrot Pilaf
Sort By :
I make this all the time. Good dish for kids. Doesn't have much seasoning, but still very satisfying.
I've made this recipe several times now for my family and they all really like it. A good simple weekday dinner. However, I don't add the red pepper till the last 5 min when the dish is standing, since I don't it them to be mushy, which they will be if added before boiling. Browning the rice as the recipe calls for keeps the rice from clumping when cooked. This recipe is even easier when precooked chicken strips are used.
Very Good Meal!
Yes, very easy to make but, as written, it is extremely bland. Parsley was the only herb or spice and, when I tasted it before serving, I felt like it needed more of something. Had to add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. A little crunch would have been nice too .... maybe water chestnuts or celery. It's a good basic recipe with a lot of potential and I might make it again, but not as written without adjustments.
This recipe was easy to make, and all 5 of my children really enjoyed it.