Take pasta to new heights with this clever creation. A cheesy mixture of chicken and broccoli is rolled into lasagna noodles, making enough for two dinners. It's nice to have a pan of these roll-ups in the freezer for unexpected company. —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 6 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Pour 1/3 cup each into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup cheese sauce, chicken, broccoli, eggs, bread crumbs, pimientos, parsley and salt if desired. Spread about 1/2 cup over each noodle. Roll up jelly-roll style, beginning with a short side; secure ends with toothpicks.
- Place six roll-ups curly end down in each baking dish. Top with remaining cheese sauce.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake second casserole at 350° for 40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until bubbly. Discard toothpicks.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (3 servings each).
Originally published as Chicken Lasagna Rolls in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p65
Reviews for Chicken and Broccoli Lasagna Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review