- 3 large sweet white onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 slices French bread, buttered on both sides
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until transparent and slightly browned. Layer onions, two-thirds of the cheese and the pepper in a 2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk and soy sauce until blended; heat through. Pour over casserole and stir gently. Top with bread slices.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Press bread slices down under sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Onion Casserole in Country December/January 1992, p49
Reviews for Cheesy Onion Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 20, 2013
"These are awesome."
Reviewed Oct. 16, 2010
"Very good, however I used mozzarella in place of swiss."
Reviewed Feb. 17, 2010
"This is really cheesy and filling. We ate all the bread off it the night I served it. I topped baked potatoes with the leftovers. Excellent!"