Southerners are in love with sweet onions, and the sweetest variety is grown near us - in Vidalia, Georgia. Since Vidalias have become so popular, everyone - including me! - seems to be developing new onion recipes.
- 3 large sweet white onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 slices French bread, buttered on both sides
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until transparent and slightly browned. Layer onions, two-thirds of the cheese and the pepper in a 2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk and soy sauce until blended; heat through. Pour over casserole and stir gently. Top with bread slices.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Press bread slices down under sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Onion Casserole in Country December/January 1992, p49
Reviews for Cheesy Onion Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review