String cheese is the secret to success for this popular stuffed-crust pizza. Prebaking the crust crust before you add the toppings assures that the cheese inside will melt completely.—Terri Gonzalez, Roswell, New Mexico
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 pieces string cheese
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-in. circle. Transfer to a greased 12-in. pizza pan, letting dough drape 2 in. over the edge.
- Place string cheese around edge of pan; fold dough over cheese and pinch to seal. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, oregano, pepper and garlic powder; spread over crust. Sprinkle with meat mixture, mushrooms and mozzarella.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Yield: 6-8 slices.
Originally published as Stuffed-Crust Pizza in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p7
Reviews for Cheese Crust Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2011
"A good basic crust with a fresh taste that is simple to make."