Grits are a staple in Southern cooking. Serve this as a brunch item with bacon or as a side dish for dinner.—Jennifer Wallis, Goldsboro, North Carolina
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly. Gradually whisk in milk, butter and eggs. Stir in cheese, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cheese 'n' Grits Casserole in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006
Reviews for Cheese 'n' Grits Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review