"I especially like this dish because I can get it ready the day before I need it," comments Julie Ridlon of Solway, Minnesota. It's easy to whip up with common pantry items, including macaroni, canned soup and saltine crackers.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup crushed saltines (about 20 crackers)
- 3/4 cup cashew halves
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. In a large bowl, combine the soups, milk and broth. Pour over water chestnuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Toss butter and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over casserole. Top with cashews. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cashew Chicken Casserole in Quick Cooking December 2000, p22
Reviews for Cashew Chicken Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review