- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; heat through. Remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Roll Casserole
Sort By :
"Pretty tasty but not great eye appeal. I made 2 smaller casseroles. Janet"
"Very few tweeks - very tasty! Hubby, who has been a cooked cabbage hater all his life, like this recipe."
"I added dill and bacon to this recipe and cooked the cabbage in the bacon grease. It was very good. My children loved everything, but the cabbage. :-)"
"Like most everyone else, I liked this recipe. I agree that it needed a little something extra in terms of flavor--next time I will probably add some worchestershire sauce, extra garlic and try using spicy V-8 juice instead of tomato sauce. The different textures of the rice mixture and cabbage make it very unique. The fam loved it."
"Great recipe!!! I added 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper and a I increased the amount of spices but not by a measurable amout...I also used an extra clove of garlic and and a bit more tomato sauce and mozzarella...FANTASTIC!!!"