Cabbage Roll Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; heat through. Remove from the heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Roll Casserole(35)
Sort By :
I added dill and bacon to this recipe and cooked the cabbage in the bacon grease. It was very good. My children loved everything, but the cabbage. :-)
Like most everyone else, I liked this recipe. I agree that it needed a little something extra in terms of flavor--next time I will probably add some worchestershire sauce, extra garlic and try using spicy V-8 juice instead of tomato sauce. The different textures of the rice mixture and cabbage make it very unique. The fam loved it.
Great recipe!!! I added 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper and a I increased the amount of spices but not by a measurable amout...I also used an extra clove of garlic and and a bit more tomato sauce and mozzarella...FANTASTIC!!!
I thought this was amazing!!! I also added 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper because we like a little "zing" and an extra clove of garlic...also, I used a smidgen more tomato sauce as well as mozzarella...one question, if anyone can reply, the cabbage was a tad crunchy...
This is great. Use packaged shredded cabbage to speed the process. I think it works better.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cabbage Casserole >
- Casseroles >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >