- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; heat through. Remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Roll Casserole
Sort By :
"I make this every February/March, building up to St. Pat's Day. Love it!"
"Made this casserole last week and it turned out pretty good. Good flavours and it made a lot. I put it in a 8.5 x 12 dish and a 8x8 dish. I froze the larger one for later. I assembled it and cooled and then froze it. The one thing I think I did wrong was maybe I should have shredded the cabbage finer as it wasn't all cooked through. It was a bit crunchy still. Perhaps the recipe should say "finely shredded" cabbage. I maybe could have cooked it longer as well. I will make this again."
"Very good Cabbage casserole that I will definitely be making again. My measure of an excellent dish is when I want more even though I feel full. What a great way to put cabbage in the diet! I will make some changes next time. I like the suggestion of Worcestershire sauce. I will likely drop the sage and use one can of tomato paste for a thicker sauce. I will also likely add some cheese in the middle for a cheesier dish!"
"This is a delicious, satisfying meal! I added a side of roast citrus glazed carrots."
"Pretty good and easy to make. Next time I'm buying already shredded cabbage."