- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage or 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cubed French bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- Cooking spray
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place squash in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan lightly coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with pepper. Toss to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until tender, stirring every 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and sage in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the broth and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; heat through.
- For croutons, in a small bowl, combine the cheese, oil, sage and garlic. Add bread cubes and spritz with cooking spray; toss to coat. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425° for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle each serving of soup with croutons and additional cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Butternut Soup with Parmesan Croutons
Sort By :
"Absolutely deliscious!!! I didn't know butternut squah soup could be this deliscious without heavy cream. This is going to become a fall staple!"
"TO JENNBRATTON AND LIZCAV---TRY ADDING JUST A PINCH OF NUTMEG AND A PINCH OF GARLIC TO THE SOUP. IT REALLY PERKS UP THE FLAVOR. BE CAREFUL HOW MUCH YOU ADD AS BOTH ITEMS CN BE QUITE STRONG"
"would love to try this. Any suggestions on what I could replace the sage with. Really dislike sage."
"I take that back, I clicked on the wrong recipe, this is not the one I made. I made the Creamy Butternut Soup. Sorry all."