Broccoli-Ham Macaroni Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add broccoli. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In another saucepan, saute the onion, ham and red pepper in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the cheese, parsley, mustard and seasonings until blended. Drain broccoli and macaroni; stir into cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish (dish will be full).
- Combine bread crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Broccoli-Ham Macaroni(12)
Sort By :
I keep coming back to this favorite!
I served this as a main dish, with homemade baked beans and coleslaw on the side. I am eating wheat-free, so made this with brown-rice macaroni and I eliminated the bread-crumb topping. In fact, I was running out of time, so I didn't even put this in the oven at all .... just served it nice and hot from the skillet. This did seem a bit bland at first, but all it really needed was some salt to taste. Then the flavors came together nicely and it was even better the next day.
OOPS!!!! I misspelled "garlic" in previous posting. it definitely doesn't need a "k" at the end......
very good side dish! I didn't have bread crumbs; therefore, I chose to use crushed ritz crackers. "DELISH" served with grilled pork chops & garlick cheese toast. Great meal. TOH -- you are the best
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Baked Pasta >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >