- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 uncooked Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 brat or hot dog buns, split
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Pour 1-3/4 cups into a large resealable plastic bag; add bratwurst. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Add onion to remaining marinade; toss to coat. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Fold foil around onion mixture and seal tightly. Drain and discard marinade from bratwurst.
- Grill bratwurst and onion, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender, turning frequently. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Serve brats in buns with onion mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Brats in Beer
Sort By :
"I am preparing a menu for Super Bowl and I tested three different brat marinades. This one won hands down! I thought the full tablespoon of chili powder might be too much but went with it and found it to be the perfect amount; just a hint of kick. To cook, I poured the marinade in a pot along with enough additional beer to cover brats and brought to boil for 10 minutes then transferred to the grill to get the char marks. The onions were perfect."
"Wonderful marinade. Brats and onions were great! Will make again soon."
"This is an awesome marinate for the bratwursts :P"
"This is an awesome marinate for the bratwurst :P"
"So delicious! I have been making these for years and they are a hit with everyone."