- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1-1/3 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, thyme, lemon-pepper, cayenne and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, water, vinegar and remaining sugar, salt and pepper; cover and refrigerate 1 cup for serving. Save remaining sauce for basting.
- Grill chicken, covered, over indirect medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting frequently with remaining sauce. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Blackened Chicken
Sort By :
Excellent! This one definitely a keeper! Can't wait to make it again!!!
My family really enjoyed this tasty recipe! Even my husband, who isn't crazy about spicy food , loved this because the sauce helped to diminish the heat. Our grill wasn't working so I broiled it in the oven for 6 mins each side and it was perfect. I will definitely make this one again!
When I made this for the first time my husband raved about it. This is his first request when I ask what he would like for dinner. The sauce mellows the heat from the spices. We baste once we flip the breast once. I used miracle whip instead of mayo added a little sweetness. Leftovers are great on salad for lunch the next day.
This has an incredible flavor. You need to like heat though. I did not use the basting sauce because it just didn't sound appealing to me. I do not like vinegar at all, and I figured it would be overwhelming. I could be wrong, but I still didn't try it. :( I will definitely make this chicken again!! We loved it!
A lot of ingredients compared to how I usually cook for sake of time, but well worth it. Basting the chicken while cooking really helped keep it moist.