- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup each red and green maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar with almonds (7 ounces), broken into bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs and extracts. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in almonds, walnuts, dates, cherries and candy bar. Stir into egg mixture until blended.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Press down firmly to eliminate air spaces. Bake at 300° for 2 hours. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Bishop's Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p46
Reviews for Bishop's Bread(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 12, 2013
my husband loves it and wants it for his birthday cake. (he doesn't usually like sweets)
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2010
I made this for the first time and loved it, but I omitted the chocolate. I loved it as a fruit bread. Would be lovely as a gift.