I made this cake for my kids when they were younger and they told me in their little voices, "Mommy, you're the best baker." Little did they know that was Mommy's first attempt at homemade cake! —Billie Williams-Henderson, Bowie, Maryland
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded peeled sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, spices and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture. Stir in sweet potatoes and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Billie's Southern Sweet Potato Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2014
Reviews for Billie's Southern Sweet Potato Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review