Big-Batch Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, shortening, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 2-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 48 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Twice-Baked Rolls in Best of Country Breads 2000, p43
Reviews for Big-Batch Dinner Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review