- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, bananas, oil, buttermilk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for Best Ever Banana Bread
Sort By :
"Wow! Super, super good banana bread! All other banana bread recipes are now worthless. I did what some other reviews suggested and I added an extra banana (mine were on the smaller side anyway) and also a tsp of cinnamon to the dry mixture. I also didn't have any buttermilk so I made my own substitution (1/4 cup milk with 1-1/4 tsp of lemon juice, let it sit for 5-10 minutes). Next time I may add some mini-chocolate chips for a real dessert!"
"Threw out ALL the other banana bread recipes in my collection, this the BEST one ever! For variety, I added mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to satisfy the choco-aholic in me."
"Best ever banana bread!!!! Its in the oven as we speak, second time I've made it in 2 weeks!! I do add a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and an extra banana."
"Great and easy!"
"wow!! amazing banana flavor ...very soft n moist...cant resist eating another piece :) this bread is awsome...definately a keeper ! used 3 bananas as suggested by other reviewers...thanks to all :) 3 do make a big diff. in taste...used a cup of brown sugar...n added a few blueberries just at top which made the bread look really pretty!! didnt sink in the batter even... baked in a foil loaf pan n a small pyrex dish......used baking powder as i only had it at hand....baking time was exact as recipe states....no added nuts cuz my kids r not a huge fan of nuts....will definately be making it again....though will use 1/3cup of oil next time just to chk if it still stays moist enough...its outside was crusty...n i liked it ! my neighbour did it too....her remarks were "excellent" thanks to TOH :) thumbs up!"