- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3/4 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash dried thyme
- 3/4 cupsliced carrots
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, saute beef and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is browned and onion is tender. Add the water, wine or broth, chili sauce, bacon, garlic, oregano, thyme and remaining pepper; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and mushrooms; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until carrots and meat are tender. Serve over noodles. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Beef Ragout in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p145
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef Ragout
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review