Going out to restaurants for gyros got to be expensive for our family, so I came up with this homemade version. Usually, I set out the fixings so everyone can assemble their own. My husband and our two busy teens request them often. —Sheri Scheerhorn, Hills, Minnesota
- 1 cup ranch salad dressing
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 whole pita breads, warmed
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 2-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- In a small bowl, combine salad dressing and cucumber; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef in oil over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Layer half of each pita with steak, tomato, olives, onion, cheese, lettuce and dressing mixture. Fold each pita over filling; secure with toothpicks. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Beef Gyros in Country Woman July/August 2005, p33
Reviews for Beef Gyros
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review