Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound turkey breast tenderloin, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free Greek seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 8 thin tomato slices
- 4 whole pita breads, warmed
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Finely chop a third of the cucumber. For sauce, mix sour cream, onion, dill, lemon juice and chopped cucumber. Thinly slice remaining cucumber.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute turkey until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in Greek seasoning. Serve turkey, lettuce, tomato and sliced cucumber on pitas; top with sauce and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 307 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 22, 2018
If you are looking for "authentic" gyro, this may disappoint. If you are looking for gyro flavors in a quick and healthy recipe, this is a keeper! I have two die-hard gyro fans in my house that were very skeptical about the use of turkey and sour cream in the recipe, but both gave this a thumbs up. I will definitely make again!I could not find salt free Greek seasoning, so just used regular Greek seasoning. The turkey tenderloins were only sold in 2 lb packages, so I subbed turkey breast cutlets, and cut the cooking time a bit. We also preferred more meat for 4 people than the 1/2 lb listed in recipe. I used about 3/4 lb per pound, and would use 3/4 - 1lb next time.
Jun 7, 2014
I really like gyros and this was a good recipe. I couldn't find Greek seasoning, so I used a savory seasoning. I also had a hard time finding turkey tenderloin, so I used cooked turkey breast. It was still very good and I loved the cucumber sauce.
May 20, 2013
Very good! Nice flavors.