Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound turkey breast tenderloin, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free Greek seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 8 thin tomato slices
- 4 whole pita breads, warmed
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Finely chop a third of the cucumber. For sauce, mix sour cream, onion, dill, lemon juice and chopped cucumber. Thinly slice remaining cucumber.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute turkey until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in Greek seasoning. Serve turkey, lettuce, tomato and sliced cucumber on pitas; top with sauce and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 307 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jan 22, 2018
If you are looking for "authentic" gyro, this may disappoint. If you are looking for gyro flavors in a quick and healthy recipe, this is a keeper! I have two die-hard gyro fans in my house that were very skeptical about the use of turkey and sour cream in the recipe, but both gave this a thumbs up. I will definitely make again!I could not find salt free Greek seasoning, so just used regular Greek seasoning. The turkey tenderloins were only sold in 2 lb packages, so I subbed turkey breast cutlets, and cut the cooking time a bit. We also preferred more meat for 4 people than the 1/2 lb listed in recipe. I used about 3/4 lb per pound, and would use 3/4 - 1lb next time.
Jun 7, 2014
I really like gyros and this was a good recipe. I couldn't find Greek seasoning, so I used a savory seasoning. I also had a hard time finding turkey tenderloin, so I used cooked turkey breast. It was still very good and I loved the cucumber sauce.
May 20, 2013
Very good! Nice flavors.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.