Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: plain Greek yogurt and crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble lamb over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer lamb to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in water, tomatoes, onion, wine, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 6-8 hours. Serve with toppings as desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 329 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 981mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Jul 19, 2018
Great flavor! That being said, I think it was a little thinner than I would have wanted; I added a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas to bulk it up a little. My seasonings pretty much stayed floating on top of the water, so I was a little bummed. I wish I would have whipped up a tzatziki sauce to put on top and added some pita chips to soak up some of the liquid; the feta as a topping was a bit weird. My guest tried it with sour cream on top and it was still a bit weird with that as a topper. I ended up draining the soup and freezing the meat/onion/tomato/seasoning mixture to use for sandwiches later because the flavor was phenomenal!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.