Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: plain Greek yogurt and crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble lamb over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer lamb to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in water, tomatoes, onion, wine, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 6-8 hours. Serve with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 329 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 981mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 19, 2018
Great flavor! That being said, I think it was a little thinner than I would have wanted; I added a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas to bulk it up a little. My seasonings pretty much stayed floating on top of the water, so I was a little bummed. I wish I would have whipped up a tzatziki sauce to put on top and added some pita chips to soak up some of the liquid; the feta as a topping was a bit weird. My guest tried it with sour cream on top and it was still a bit weird with that as a topper. I ended up draining the soup and freezing the meat/onion/tomato/seasoning mixture to use for sandwiches later because the flavor was phenomenal!