Grilled Beef Gyros
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- CUCUMBER SAUCE:
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups sour cream
- 8 to 10 pita breads, warmed and halved
- Thinly sliced onion
- Chopped tomato
- In a blender, combine the onion, garlic, sugar, mustard, ginger, pepper and cayenne; cover and process until onion is finely chopped. Add soy sauce and water; process until blended.
- Place the beef in a large resealable plastic bag. Add marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- For sauce, in a blender;, combine the cucumber, garlic and salt; cover and process until cucumber is chopped. Add vinegar and oil; process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in sour cream. Refrigerate until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill beef, covered, over medium-hot heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Place beef in pita halves. Top with cucumber sauce, sliced onion and chopped tomato. Refrigerate any remaining sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 419 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 22, 2013
Gyros are pretty common in my home state of PA. We don't see them (or many of the other foods we love) in this part of TX. We were craving a taste of home (how appropriate lol) These were really good and hit the spot!
Apr 11, 2011
Delicious! This has been a family favorite for years! I recall my mom marinating, and my dad grilling this over the summers! It is also GREAT for entertaining :)Definitely a must try!
Sep 18, 2010
We used a flank steak sliced thin before marinating and grilled over hardwood coals. I think we will do a skirt steak with it tomorrow.
Jul 29, 2010
We use venison in place of beef and really like this recipe. Makes more cucumber sauce than needed so I usually half