- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning, divided
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 6 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the spinach, onions, olives and 1 teaspoon lemon pepper; heat through. Stir in tomato; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise and remaining lemon pepper. Line pita halves with lettuce; fill with beef mixture and feta cheese. Serve with yogurt sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Beef & Spinach Gyros
"Easy to make. I used a can of diced tomatoes. I didn't care for the sauce so Nxt time I'll eat w/o sauce. I added bk and red peppers for some heat. Will be making again."
"Very tasty. I used ground turkey and substituted onion powder for the green onions. I only added about half the can of olives. I did add the lemon pepper to taste and some garlic salt. The sauce and feta cheese really made this dish!"
"Soo good! I omited and substituted some stuff cause of preference (onion powder instead of onions), no olives or lettuce. And I really dislike low fat mayo, I used regular. But everything else was the same. It was incredibly easy to make and just amazing! The sauce is to die for! The lemon pepper really gives it a boost! I salted the spinach as well, but just barely. Try this recipe!"
"This is now a favorite in our house! I omit the lettuce because it doesnt really add anything, and add more lemon pepper seasoning than it calls for. Very easy and delicious!"
"Oops. *meal --- lol."
"Fantastic! Such a simple mean, yet delicious and filling. I didn't have any lemon pepper seasoning on hand, so I made my own with freshly cracked pepper and lemon juice straight from the lemon. It was flavorful and delicious. I chose whole wheat pita, and used fresh spinach instead of the lettuce (and of course the frozen spinach that was cooked.)This is a great, quick, meal. You get your meat (I try to use organic, grass - fed as often as possible) you get some good stuff from the spinach, and if you use a good quality pita, you get the good carbs from the whole grain. This was another big hit at my house. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Next time I might try using ground lamb!"
"Great for a quick summery meal. Loved the sauce. My husband made sure that I wasn't throwing away any leftovers because he wanted it again the next day!"
"Where's the flavor?! Lemon pepper is not lively enough of a seasoning for a red meat dish in my house. Heavy on the spinach, and with little kids, the flavor of cooked spinach eeks out just about any other ingredient. The one bright spot in this recipe is the feta. It really added a much needed flavor dynamic."
"This has already become a staple for us! My daughters are making it at home also. . . easy and delicious!"
"I omitted the olives and instead of the lemon pepper I used a Mediterranean spices blend. It was delicious and super quick:)"