Beef and Spinach Skillet
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Biscuits, optional
- In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the spinach, mushrooms, garlic salt and basil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese. Pour over meat mixture; mix well. Reduce heat; cook, covered, until heated through. If desired, serve with biscuits.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 351 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 872mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Oct 1, 2015
I used fresh spinach for this recipe. It was simple and tasty. An easy recipe for a work night. Next time I may add additional seasoning like extra garlic and cayenne pepper for a kick.
Apr 16, 2015
Quick to make and delicious! If you don't mind spinach, it is a delightful and filling meal!
Mar 14, 2015
Sep 11, 2009
Yummy! Thaw the spinach first.