- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and celery flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender; Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato; simmer for 5 minutes. Add the broth, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Add beans and macaroni; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Bean Counter Chowder(5)
Sort By :
Great recipe! Pottsy was concerned about flavor - cook your own beans with ham hock, drain and use them as you would the canned ones.
The recipe was very simple to make and was very tasty. I made double the liquid because there wasn't enough for my liking and I know this was healthy but I added 1/4 cup of real bacon bits for my husband.
This was really good but does need just a bit more something in the line of flavor. I will definitely make it again and will experiment with different options. My daughter and grand-daughter liked it also. My 18 month old grand-daughter liked picking the beans out and eating them by themselves.
Hubby and I thought this was very good. The only thing I changed was to add 1 stalk of chopped celery in place of the celery flakes. It added a little crunch. This will be made again.
Good soup, fast and easy to make.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Chowder Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >