- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a small bowl, combine coconut and butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned (cover edges loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning if necessary). Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; let stand for 15 minutes. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Cook and stir over medium heat until gelatin is dissolved; stir in lemon juice. Stir into strawberry mixture. Cool to room temperature. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into crust. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before slicing. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Bavarian Strawberry Pie
"Are you using sweetened flaked coconut?"
"I make this recipe every year after we go strawberry picking. My husband is a huge coconut fan, so it is definitely one of his favorites!"
"I made this last night, just as the recipe called, and it was lip smackin' delicious. Vey easy to make."
"Loved it! I let the strawberries sit to long in the sugar, so it made to much juice. Not a problem. Filled a Tupperware container w/ the leftovers & it was delicious."
"I didn't have enough coconut to make the whle crust out of it, so I just used a regular pie crust recipe and substituted coconut for 1/3 of the flour... it was great!"