Banana Pudding Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 58 vanilla wafers (about 8 ounces), divided
- 4 large ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In an ungreased 8-in.-square baking dish, layer 25 vanilla wafers, half of the banana slices and half of the pudding. Repeat layers.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, crush remaining wafers and sprinkle over top. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Banana Pudding
Sort By :
I make this recipe often... My family loves it! I have used other fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries and added them with the bananas. So good! I also increase the vanilla by one tsp and increase the salt by 1/4 tsp. I also use graham crackers in place of the vanilla wafers. Great warm weather dessert! .
This is a very good recipe for banana pudding. Since it is in essence banana cream pie without the crust but with vanilla wafers it is easier to make. My family prefers the pie however as the vanilla wafers went soggy and tasted gritty.
My family loved the pudding. The only thing I regret is not making a double batch.
This is a really tasty recipe. My MIL made something similar and always called it "banana salad". The only difference in her recipe was that instead of vanilla wafers, there's a layer of crushed, salted peanuts. A nice ending to a meal on a hot summer day.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Banana Pudding Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Custard Recipes >