Memaw’s Banana Pudding
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers
- 4 medium bananas, sliced
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Caramel sundae syrup, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring milk and cream to a simmer. In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into egg yolk mixture; return all to pan, whisking constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Line bottom of a 3-qt. trifle or other glass bowl with half of the vanilla wafers; cover with half the banana slices followed by half the pudding. Repeat layers. Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding; refrigerate until cold. Just before serving, remove plastic and top with whipped topping. If desired, serve with caramel syrup.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 509 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 14, 2018
Mine came out like soup. I do not understand what could have happened . I wrote review before but it did not show up here. What did I do wrong? When I added egg yolks to sugar/cornstarch mixture it was so clumpy..but I tempered it with the hot milk and then added it to heavy saucepan with milk/half and half. Brought to boil cooked 2 more min..off heat, added vanilla and softened butter. When cooled I layered it and it was thick..a little bit clumpy.hours later it was thin and runny..HELP!!!
Jul 3, 2018
Yeah.. The real stuff! That's what people want during the holidays!
Feb 18, 2017
This pudding was good, but the texture is very thick. A whole box of vanilla wafers is way too much for the amount of pudding. One layer in the bottom, one layer halfway, and then a few around the edges on top would be the perfect ratio. I garnished it with real whipped cream sweetened with 1.5 Tbsp of sugar as the pudding is plenty sweet without the additional sweetness and artificial taste of frozen whipped topping.
Feb 10, 2017
Very tasty pudding! The preparation method is different than other puddings I have made and I did have lumps, but other than that it was delicious!
Feb 8, 2017
I just love it when a new TOH arrives and it is chock full of good recipes. Feb/Mar 2017 is no exception. This recipe is delicious. It takes a lot more time than store bought packaged pudding but it is so worth it. It's quite decadent but we made it even more so by adding caramel sauce on top (as shown in the picture on the front page of the mag). Yummy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.